40 x 60 inches
Acrylic on birch
September 7 - October 27
EVERGREEN BRICK WORKS
In this series Toronto Saints Canadian artist Brandon Steen connects five wards, five Saints, five bricked buildings and five paintings.
Looking back to the city of Toronto‘s original boundaries we see they were defined by five wards; St Lawrence, St David’s, St Patrick’s, St Andrew’s to St George’s in 1834.
However, it wasn’t for another 57 years when the Taylor brothers in 1891 started a pressed brick empire that would further define those wards with bricked factories, hospitals, houses, hotels, concert halls, markets, arenas, Parliament buildings and universities.
Five of those buildings are captured in the five paintings exhibited on the former site of the Taylor Brothers Empire now known as the Evergreen Brick Works.